Sant Pere de Rodes
It is situated in the municipal area of El Port de la Selva in the province of Girona, Catalonia. It has been constructed in the side of the Verdera Mountain below the ruins of the castle of Sant Verdera that had provided protection for the monastery. It offers exceptional views over the bay of Llançà, to the north of Cap de Creus.
The true origin of the monastery is not known, which has given rise to speculation and legend; such as its foundation by monks who disembarked in the area with the remains of Saint Peter and other saints, to save them from the Barbarian hordes that had fallen on Rome. Once the danger had passed the Pope Boniface IV commanded them to construct a monastery.
Nevertheless the first documentation of the existence of the monastery dates 878, it being mentioned as a simple monastery cell consecrated to Saint Peter, but it is not until 945 when an independent Benedictine monastery was founded, prevailed over by an abbot. Bound to the County of Empúries it reached its maximum splendour between the XI and XII centuries until its final decay in 17th century. Its increasing importance is reflected in its status as a point of pilgrimage.
In the 17th Century XVII it was sacked in several occasions and in 1793 was deserted by the Benedictine community which was transferred to Vila-sacred and finally settled in Figueres in 1809 until it was dissolved.
The monastery was declared a national monument in 1930. In 1935 the Generalitat of Catalonia initiated the first restoration work. However it has been recently reconstructed.
Tourist Office - Del Mar, 1
17489 El Port de la Selva (Alt Empordà)
Tel: (+34) 972 387 025 Fax: (+34) 972 387 413
Sant Pere de Rodes: